Hello, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! I spent the day celebrating with family and took a bit of a break from the blog and social media. I did a ton of baking, spent time with family we don’t get the chance to see often enough and truly tried to stay present. These gingerbread fat balls are Inspired by @leefromamerica‘s pumpkin spice fat balls I whipped up for Thanksgiving. I wanted a healthier treat to balance out all the cookies. I hope you enjoy them and be sure to check out Lee’s original recipe coconut ones.👌 I can’t wait to experiment with more seasonal flavors.
Gingerbread Fat Balls
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup cashews whole or chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans whole or chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas
- 4 large medjool dates pitted & soaked in warm water for 10-15 minutes
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1-2 tbsp almond or other milk
- Add nuts, coconut, and seeds to bowl of food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Drain water from dates, add to food processor and pulse until smooth. In batches add about half the nut mixture back in. Slowly add in molasses while running machine. Add spices and the rest of the nut mixture. Add almond milk if needed 1 tbsp at a time until mixture forms a large ball. Taste and adjust spices as necessary (they will get a bit spicier after sitting for a few hours). Divide and roll into balls. I like to make 2 sizes, smaller ones (1-2 tbsp) and slightly larger ones.