Happy almost Halloween! Are you dressing up this year? We’re doing a DC family costume this year, I’m going as Diana Prince, hubs will be Clark Kent and the pups are going as Batman and Wonder Woman. I whipped up a batch of these ghoulish almond butter bites for a healthier snack to munch on while handing out candy. They’re a gluten free, vegan alternative to my favorite halloween candy: peanut butter cups. I first made a version of these at Easter and they disappeared in minutes!
Recipe inspired by and adapted from Rachaels Good Eats Copycat Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (Healthy Version).
Almond Butter Bites
Almond Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup unsweetened unsalted almond butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder I used Trader Joe's Pea Protein Powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 4-6 oz chocolate chips
- Whisk together protein powder and almond flour until no lumps remain in a medium size bowl. Whisk in almond butter, maple syrup & coconut oil in medium size bowl. Scoop dough into small balls, approximately 1 tbsp each and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in freezer for 10 minutes, or fridge for 30 minutes.
- While bites cool, melt chocolate and coconut oil in separate glass bowl over low heat using the double boiler method or in 15 second increments in microwave. Once bites have hardened, remove from fridge and using two forks dip into chocolate and place back on parchment lined baking sheet. Continue coating bites until all have been covered and sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Place back in fridge to harden for 30 minutes. ENJOY! Store in airtight container in fridge or freezer for up to 2 weeks.
What’s your favorite Halloween candy? I’ll be posting a ghoul inspired workout on Wednesday Morning so be sure to check back for that!