Before you dive head first into a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints this year try whipping up this gluten and dairy free version. They pack the same dark chocolatey, crunchy, minty goodness as the original and taste amazing frozen. The best part, you can make them year round, so save this recipe for the next time a craving hits!
You’re probably just here for the cookies so let’s get too it!
Copycat Thin Mints
- 1.5 c almond flour
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- 1.5 cups chopped dairy free dark chocolate or dairy free chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract more to taste if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine almond flour, coconut sugar, cacao, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine and break up any lumps. Melt the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Add to dry ingredients with 1 tbsp almond milk. Stir to combine adding a little more almond milk if needed. Dough should be the consistency of wet sand and just barely hold together.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Turn dough out onto it. Cover dough with a second piece of parchment and roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter or use cookie cutter of choice. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheet. Continue rolling and cutting until all dough has been used up.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until tops are dry. Remove from oven, let cool on sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While cookies cool, add chocolate and coconut oil to a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments stirring occasionally until all chocolate is melted. Add peppermint extract, adding a few more drops to taste if desired.
- Drizzle chocolate over cookies, or spoon gently over each cookie, shaking off excess. I only partially coated mine and they were perfect.
A cookie is still a cookie, no matter how “healthy” I try to make it. A serving size is 2-3 depending on size. I recommend you keep the rest in your freezer, share with friends or take extras to work.
Tag me if you make these, I’d love to see how they turn out!
*recipe adapted slightly from glutenfreebaking.com